Sunday, October 17, 2010

Life Update 1

           I have officially been unemployed for almost two months.  It's really strange, to me, to have no early-morning alarms and no crazed daily driving experiences.  When employed, I'm a music teacher, which meant (at my old job) spending anywhere from 8-12 hours of every day, 5 days a week, in the school building.  When you are devoting so much time to a career, it's almost impossible to manage anything else.  I let friendships slide, I didn't exercise, I didn't practice my horn, I didn't do any of the activities which I enjoy.  I did my job, laundry, microwavable dinners and TV.  Now, having no job to eat my time, I've been doing a much wider variety of things: job applications, cleaning, textiles, running, lessons and free-lancing. And, apart from the current stress of wondering how I'll make rent, I'm beginning to feel more balance in my life.  The only thing I really miss right now, is being a student.  It's always been a plan of mine to get my masters in something (now I can figure out what, I guess) but money is currently an issue.

Job Applications:  This is the most depressing part of life right now.  It's frustrating to look at the number of jobs to which I've applied, with no job!  There simply aren't many music-related teaching jobs (what with Illinois not paying school districts and school districts laying-off fine arts teachers; that's what happened to me).  Even looking at the jobs available for aides or substitutes, there are simply too many talented, qualified teachers who are still looking, for anyone applying to have good odds of landing a job.  I keep looking, hoping that something will come along, but it's incredibly difficult to wake up every morning, knowing that I have been highly trained to teach band students, and that I am good at it, without having that job to go to.  (I'm well aware that I do complain about time spent on the job, but truthfully, I thrive on stress and packed schedules, so having a calm schedule make me kind of anxious).

Textiles:  Since there are only a limited number of hours in a day I can spend job hunting, without becoming depressed and slightly crazy, I've taken to working on the number of incomplete projects stashed around my apartment.  And, since my mother has taught me to knit, cross-stitch, sew and quilt, there are a fairly wide variety of projects at several stages of completion.  Lately, I've been working on quilt or sewing related projects.  I finished a Renaissance skirt and chemise to go with a bodice for a Halloween costume (which looks pretty sweet) and sewed an orient-inspired blouse (which did not turn out well...).
                 I've also been working on a star-themed quilt top in bold colors and blacks (pictures to come, when the quilting starts) and a blue and pink quilt for charity.  I started it as an NHS project back when I was in high school, but never got further than sandwiching the quilt.  So...I started experimenting on it with some free-motion quilting, and it's turned out pretty cute! 

                
                   













 The inside is based on a shell pattern, and the border quilting is a heart vine.  (for more information on free motion quilting ideas, I'd check out this blog: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/  , it's where I got my ideas from).   Overall, I'm very pleased with it, except for one thing.  The fabric I used for the backing has turned my white machine pink.  That's right, pink.  Let's all take a few minutes, boys and girls, to remind ourselves to WASH and SET the DYE for all fabrics when purchased. 
                 Currently, I'm working on a quilted tree skirt (pics and more details to come later).

Running: After taking a two-year, job-induced hiatus from running, I've discovered the joy of running outside in all types of weather (there is more joy in cool weather!).  I probably need to get some new shoes, but I've been working towards longer distances (I'd like to try a half-marathon next spring).  4 miles is my record so far!

Horn: Since I have no job, I've been spending more time on my horn.  I'm currently playing with an all-French horn group, working towards a seasonal concert in December.  We're playing some fairly meaty pieces including Eric Ewazen's Grand Canyon Octet (I'm in love with this piece, despite drawing the range-y first part) and an all horn arrangement of Procession of the Nobles.  I've also got a gig playing pit for November, which should help to improve my high range.  In lessons in college, I always felt like there was some magic trick to getting effortless high notes, but I'm feeling more and more, that range is one of those "just do it" things; i.e. the more you do it, the more the notes come to you.

Lessons: I'm currently teaching piano and brass beginning lessons, which is reminding me how much I love to teach.  It's fun to be there when the students have that "aha!" moment, when they master a technique, or discover love for a particular composer.  This is what I miss most from my old job.

Friends:  Bah!  I need to talk to you all WAY more than I have been. 

              And that, is where life is, at this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment