Sunday, August 28, 2011

Vampires and Other Rants

This summer has been a great reading summer for me; I went through the Harry Potter series again (in honor of the last film’s debut) and attacked several books on my “To Read” list including Dune, The Hunger Games series and Twilight.  I’ve always enjoyed a good Sci-Fi/ Fantasy read, and as a chronic middle school teacher, I thought it would be good to read some teen literature.  While I found The Hunger Games to have some vivid, assertive characters and an engaging story (albeit written for a teen reading level) Twilight was pretty bad.  Really bad.  Let me rephrase that, it was like word-vomit.  I’m left totally astonished that Stephanie Meyer could take a potentially interesting idea for a story (vampires) turn it into utter garbage, get it published and develop an international following!  I’ll leave the excessive story bashing to other reviewers (there are some hilarious ones on Amazon, which you can find here) but my main issue with the book is that it is an example of poor writing, with a limited vocabulary, transparent attempts at foreshadowing, under-developed characters and a boring, predictable plot.  (I also disliked the book’s insipid “heroine”, Bella, and found her relationship with the vampire, Edward, eerily similar to the Police song “Every Breath You Take”; complete with bad boyfriend flashbacks from my own horrible dating history!)
Moving on…
Vampire Knits
At the same time that I picked up Twilight at the library, I also checked out Vampire Knits by Genevieve Miller, a collection of vampire-inspired knitting projects.  Some of the patterns are Twilight-specific; mittens modeled after Kristen Stewart’s mittens in the first film, knitted totes with expressions from the book (“Be Safe”, “Team Edward”, “Team Jacob”) etc.  Others are more loosely inspired and range from the ridiculous (blood type beer cozies and a “Got Blood? pillow) to the sublime (scarves, hooded capes and socks).  My favorite knit was the Lore Hoodie (featured on the cover) by Cirilia Rose. 


The sweater is knit flat, from the bottom up with the sleeves worked separately in the round (cuff to underarm) and then attached with decreases evenly spaced across the garment as in the yoked variation of raglan shaping.  The ribbed border is knit separately (which felt like it took forever, since you're knitting 90 some inches of ribbed border) and then seamed on all around the front edges.  The leaf lace pattern was really simple to knit, and was outlined in a chart (yay!).  All in all, the sweater-coat would be a good first sweater for the beginning knitter.
I knitted the small size and started with 7 skeins of Di.ve Autunno yarn (100% merino, in color 25761) but realized when I got to the hood that I needed a few more balls to finish the project.  So, I did a few searches on the yarn with the horrible realization that this particular color was not only not being manufactured, but also was impossible to find (admittedly, I brought this on myself, starting a project with a smaller amount of yardage than the pattern called for, and using yarn that I bought 5 years ago).  Fortunately, I found that WEBS Yarn was still carrying Autunno yarn in a similar color (25762) which I used to complete the sweater.  I split the hood with every other row in the new yarn, and used it by itself for the ribbed band.  You can see the slight difference in shading because of the different yarns (which my camera didn't pick up) but I don’t think it looks unpleasant. 
Apart from the “do I have enough yarn panic?!” Di.ve Autunno was wonderful to knit with (why, oh why is Cascade discontinuing it?!).  The wool is so soft on your hands that it almost feels like knitting with clouds, although you may split the yarn if you aren’t careful.  (I didn’t have too many problems with this, but a beginner knitter might.)  The finished sweater is relatively lightweight, but warm, and soft enough that you can wear it against the skin without itching or scratching.
The button loops were crocheted and then sewn on to the garment (the pattern calls for them to be 5 inches long, but I found that to be too long, so I knotted them) and the buttons were from Color in Stitches, Inc.; I saw them at Stitches Midwest over the weekend (they have some fantastic designs and materials). 

No comments:

Post a Comment